It’s fall, and that means it’s almost ski resort season. What better way to get away this winter than visiting one of the western United States’s many beautiful mountain ski resorts? Here are five American ski resorts that you should visit this winter. They all offer gorgeous vistas, pure white snow, luxury amenities, and some of the nation’s best skiing.
The city of Aspen, Colorado is one of the top skiing destinations in the world. This quiet mountain town is home to only 5,914 people. It’s also home to numerous high-end ski resorts, all of which offer an excellent experience to winter vacationers. Aspen Mountain is one of the top resorts, offering a luxury winter experience like no other.
- Opening Date: November 6, 2016
- Closing Date: April 16, 2017
- Tickets & Passes: Season passes are available; Aspen Mountain also offers lift tickets that can be purchased up to 7 days in advance. There are single, 2, 3, and 4 day tickets valid on all four mountains, with variable pricing based on age.
- Accommodations: Stay Aspen Snowmass is the official reservation center for Aspen and Snowmass. Local trip advisors can help you find discounted vacation packages that include lodging, airfare, lift tickets, transportation, and more.
Located in Southwest Colorado, Telluride is a popular skiing location. It was originally a mining town until 1972, when the first local ski lift opened.
- Opening dates. Telluride’s ski resorts open in late November and early December. Winter park opens on November 16, while Sunlight doesn’t open until December 9. Plan your stay for December, January, or February.
- Closing dates. The resorts close at various dates throughout April.
- Tickets and passes. Lift tickets are available for adults, children (6-12), and seniors (65+). You can save on tickets by purchasing them at least 48 hours in advance. Season passes are also available, along with pass insurance that covers the cost if you’re no longer able to use it.
- Lodging. Telluride offers a variety of lodging options, including hotels, condos, homes, and townhouses. Some have ski in/ski out access, while others are either within walking distance of the slopes, or accessible by shuttle.
Beaver Creek Resort
Located near the town of Avon, Colorado, Beaver Creek Resort is a popular ski resort. It’s owned by Vail Resorts, which also owns eight other ski resorts in the western US. Along with skiing, Beaver Creek Resort is also known for its world-class golf courses.
- Opening Dates: Ski lifts in Beaver Creek Resort open in late November, starting November 25, and early December, with December 12 as the latest open date.
- Closing Dates: The lifts close for the year in early to mid April, between April 3 and April 10.
- Tickets & Passes. Tickets are available for adults, children, and seniors, for any length of stay. Passes come in four varieties: Epic Pass, Epic Local Pass, Epic 7-Day, and Epic 4-Day.
- Lodging. Beaver Creek Resort offers numerous luxury hotels, condos, and vacation homes. Their signature properties include The Osprey, Trappers Cabin, Elkhorn Lodge, and others.
Located on the border between California and Nevada, scenic Lake Tahoe is one of the nation’s largest freshwater lakes. It’s also a premier ski resort location.
- Opening Dates: Lake Tahoe’s slopes open in late November and early December.
- Closing Dates: The lifts close in early to mid April.
- Tickets & Passes. To ski at Lake Tahoe, you can purchase tickets through the multiple local resorts, including Kirkwood, Mount Rose, Northstar California, Heavenly, and Sierra at Tahoe. Heavenly Mountain Resort is the largest ski resort in both California and Nevada.
- Lodging. Luxury accommodations are available through Lake Tahoe’s numerous ski resorts.
McCall, Idaho is off the beaten path. This hidden ski resort gem is a remote, secluded destination that’s off the radar. The town of McCall is home to only 2,991 people. It offers plenty of skiing options in the Salmon River Mountains and in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness, which is the largest roadless area in the entire country.
- Opening Dates: Late November to Early December.
- Closing Dates: Early April
- Tickets & Passes: Brundage Mountain Resort is the town’s premier ski resort, owned by a local family. They offer season passes as well as lift tickets. They also have an Express Pass beginner’s program that offers beginning skiers an easy way to start learning the sport over the course of the winter.
- Lodging. McCall offers several lodging options. Hotel McCall is a popular choice, although it’s not the only hotel in town. There are also the Brundage Inn, Meadows Valley Motel, Rustic Inn, and several others.